Vegetarian - Gluten Free - Dairy Free - Paleo - Oil Free - No Added Sugar - No Added Salt
This is a perfect recipe for the Autumn months. And what's even better, is I used home-grown apples, which I got from my mother's partner's orchard. There are three barrels full of apples at my mother's house now, which I will most certainly be making use of.
What is there to love about this recipe? Well, if your a fan of apple pie, tart or crumble, you've love this recipe. All the flavours of your favourite fruity dessert, but with no grains, butter or sugar involved what-so-ever. This breakfast parfait can be vegan (if you substitute the honey for maple syrup or agave nectar) and this parfait is vegetarian, gluten free, sugar free and even paleo. This breakfast parfait incompasses all the flavours and scents associated with food in Autumn; inlcuding warming spices like ground cinnamon and nutmeg. Plus, this parfait offers a contrast in temperatures (which I adore) with the hot apples and the cold yoghurt. But of course, you can make the apples in advance and serve them room temperature or cold from the fridge if you want to (or just heat them up in the microwave).
Apple Pie Parfait
1 large sweet apple (like a Pink Lady or Golden Delicious)
1 tablespoon sultanas/raisins
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup natural soy yoghurt (or yoghurt of choice)
- Dice the apple up into bite sized chunks. Leave the skin on the apple, as this is where all the fibre is and this also gives greater body and texture to the parfait.
- Put the apple pieces into a small pot and measure out the sultanas, honey, ground cinnamon and nutmeg and add all of these to the pot.
- Add the water (to prevent sticking and drying out) and turn on a medium heat.
- Cook the apples for abut five minutes with the lid on(to stop the water evaoporating straight away) and then for about five minutes with the lid off.
- Set the apple aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Once the apples have cooled slightly, start layering your parfait into the serving gass of your choice. Alternate between layers of yoghurt and hot apples.